Monday, January 22, 2007

Some People Do Get It

It's time to give thanks where thanks is due. My conference last week was held at the Renaissance Worthington Hotel. This is a very nice downtown Fort Worth hotel in Sundance Square. As is usually the case with downtown hotels it can be a little pricey. That wasn't a problem for the nights of the conference as they had worked out a rate around $120/night. Jack and I were staying an extra night though and for that one night our $120 room was to become a $230 room. I guess it's that supply and demand thing again.

When we checked in on Sunday the clerk reminded us of the rate we would be paying for the last night and even was kind enough to write it down on our room key folder. I had secretly hoped that when we got there they would tell us that they were giving us the reduced rate for our extra night, but there was the rate written in stone - or ink at least. I wasn't surprised as I'm sure it was a lousy week for them with cancellations due to the snow. The conference I was with ended up not even meeting our guarantee of rooms because of the weather.

Imagine my surprise when we got the bill and they had charged us the conference rate for all four nights! Not only that, but we had valet parked and instead of the $16 rate, they charged us $12 per day - which was the charge for self-parking. (I checked - they labeled it "valet parking" so they knew what they were doing.)

At a time when occupancy was down, service had been great, they had fulfilled everything they promised, the Renaissance Worthington showed a little grace to some road weary travelers. While some people don't get it, they do! A big thank you to the management of the Renaissance Worthington and Marriott!

No comments: