Back in semi-warm Baton Rouge and happy to be here back to a semi-normal routine. The CEC was great. This conference, while including "how-to's" is more focused on the "why", on encouragement and on sharing of resources. I always leave the conference feeling renewed.
This year I went to presentations by Steven James, Karyn Henley and Beverly Ross. Each one caused me to think and to consider what and how I am teaching others and myself.
Beverly Ross presented more of a "general" class discussing how we can be seated with the Father, walk with each other and take a stand against Satan. Her text was the book of Ephesians and was a wonderful way to end the conference.
Karyn Henley has written and published some wonderful tools for teaching kids - and adults. Her presentations were on facing the issues our kids face as far as the different religious beliefs in this world. She went through several different religions, showing what they offered, who they worship and what price you pay to belong. I did buy 2 of her books - "Love Trumps Karma" and "The Mall of Religions". I think both of these will better equip me as I minister to kids that want to make sure of what they believe.
Steven James was a repeat presenter from last year. I had considered going to a different tract since I heard him last year, but didn't and he didn't disappoint. This man has more enthusiasm than just about any I've ever been around. He is a "master storyteller" in my book. He is a firm believer in our story being God's story and figuring out how to use that. He has written several books of which I came home with 2. The one I bought is "Quest for Celestia" which is his reimagining of "The Pilgrim's Progress". I am going to read this book to see if I would recommend it for some of our kids.
The other book I did not buy - but "earned." Steven James likes to use volunteers a lot in his presentations - especially our 3rd session. At the beginning he did one of his short skits and he volunteered me. Of course I didn't realize he was pointing at me at first so he had fun with that. Then I had fun with him doing the skit. Working in children's ministry you quickly learn to let your guard down and throw pride out of the window. He volunteered me for a couple of other skits and my reward was a free book. After he made it clear that the book I chose had to be from his booth, I picked one for our children's ministry - "Crazy and Creative Bible Stories for Preteens"
I need to thank Steven James for a brief moment of fame. The remainder of the conference when people would see me they would comment about how I was the one that he "picked" on and they would usually compliment my performance. Who would have thought that I could be a "star" at the CEC.
In addition to these sessions we heard some wonderful lessons from Grady King. He has a way of opening up his heart that touches your own.
As I posted before, the weather did not cooperate this week. I didn't get to spend my free time in the way I wanted. The attendance was down a little because of travel. But in spite of everything, this past week was a true blessing. I'm thankful for people who are willing to share their talents, their stories and their encouragement with those they don't even know and may never see again. What a blessing!
This year I went to presentations by Steven James, Karyn Henley and Beverly Ross. Each one caused me to think and to consider what and how I am teaching others and myself.
Beverly Ross presented more of a "general" class discussing how we can be seated with the Father, walk with each other and take a stand against Satan. Her text was the book of Ephesians and was a wonderful way to end the conference.
Karyn Henley has written and published some wonderful tools for teaching kids - and adults. Her presentations were on facing the issues our kids face as far as the different religious beliefs in this world. She went through several different religions, showing what they offered, who they worship and what price you pay to belong. I did buy 2 of her books - "Love Trumps Karma" and "The Mall of Religions". I think both of these will better equip me as I minister to kids that want to make sure of what they believe.
Steven James was a repeat presenter from last year. I had considered going to a different tract since I heard him last year, but didn't and he didn't disappoint. This man has more enthusiasm than just about any I've ever been around. He is a "master storyteller" in my book. He is a firm believer in our story being God's story and figuring out how to use that. He has written several books of which I came home with 2. The one I bought is "Quest for Celestia" which is his reimagining of "The Pilgrim's Progress". I am going to read this book to see if I would recommend it for some of our kids.
The other book I did not buy - but "earned." Steven James likes to use volunteers a lot in his presentations - especially our 3rd session. At the beginning he did one of his short skits and he volunteered me. Of course I didn't realize he was pointing at me at first so he had fun with that. Then I had fun with him doing the skit. Working in children's ministry you quickly learn to let your guard down and throw pride out of the window. He volunteered me for a couple of other skits and my reward was a free book. After he made it clear that the book I chose had to be from his booth, I picked one for our children's ministry - "Crazy and Creative Bible Stories for Preteens"
I need to thank Steven James for a brief moment of fame. The remainder of the conference when people would see me they would comment about how I was the one that he "picked" on and they would usually compliment my performance. Who would have thought that I could be a "star" at the CEC.
In addition to these sessions we heard some wonderful lessons from Grady King. He has a way of opening up his heart that touches your own.
As I posted before, the weather did not cooperate this week. I didn't get to spend my free time in the way I wanted. The attendance was down a little because of travel. But in spite of everything, this past week was a true blessing. I'm thankful for people who are willing to share their talents, their stories and their encouragement with those they don't even know and may never see again. What a blessing!
No comments:
Post a Comment