Friday, November 18, 2005

The State We're In

Wednesday I went to a business expo luncheon. At the luncheon Dr. Loren Scott made a presentation of the Louisiana Economic Outlook for Louisiana for 2006 - 2007. It was not an upbeat report due to the effects mainly of Katrina, with Rita added in. To be honest, the overall outlook did not surprise me. There were a few facts that the assumptions were based on that did surprise me. The most startling was that in one fell swoop 11 years of employment growth was wiped out. That is almost incomprehensible. How do you recover 11 years quickly enough? I guess what makes this even sadder is that although Louisiana has stayed in the national spotlight longer than I thought they would, it is beginning to wan and by the first of the year will just be a byline every now and then. Our recovery is going to be a long process. I know we will recover. I'm also sure that the landscape of Louisiana is changing - physically and otherwise. Pray for us to have wisdom, trust and optimism as we go through these changes.

No comments: