Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Bah-humbug!

Christmas isn't as much fun as it use to be. It seems that each year I become more "bah-humbug." Since High Fidelity was playing a lot over this past weekend, I decided to follow "Rob's" lead and do a couple of top 5 lists to try to figure out why.

Top 5 Reasons I Don't Like Christmas:

1. Shopping - I don't mind shopping when I'm in the mood to shop and know what I'm shopping for. I also like to go when there are no crowds. None of this describes my Christmas shopping.

2. Getting the decorations out
- It takes a while to sort through them and decide which ones I want to use each year.

3. Putting the decorations up
- This has to be the worse part! They never fit back in the way they should and I don't know how I get them all back in the closet. It gets harder every year.

4. The busy-ness of the season - Seems like the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas go by faster than any other weeks of the year.

5. Having to work hard to schedule a time to go see my family for Christmas - It shouldn't be that hard!

Top 5 Reason's I Like Christmas

1. The perfect gift - Coming up with the perfect gift for someone and surprising them with it.

2. Seeing all the Christmas decorations - Both other people's houses and my own.

3. The smells of Christmas - The cinnamon, spice, fir, baking smells. Ahhh!

4. Wrapping presents - This one use to be on my dis-like list, but now I kind of enjoy it. I think it's because for most occasions I throw it in a bag so actually wrapping and putting a pretty bow on it is strictly a "Christmas thing."

5. Christmas cards - Sending them but also receiving them. Some people I only have contact with this one time of the year. I love hearing from them, seeing pictures of their family and catching up.

6. Being with family - Need I say more??

7. The busy-ness of the season - Being out in the crowds, going to concerts, seeing the lights, etc.

8. Getting the decorations out - Seeing the ornaments we have collected during the years and the memory that each one contains.

9. Seeing the excitement of the children this time of year
- and they're all being good since the big guy is watching. :-)

10. Hearing Christmas music
- but only after Thanksgiving!

Guess I'm not as "bah-humbug" as I thought. I might even pop a Christmas CD in, get the decorations out, knock out my shopping and get it all wrapped today....or maybe not.

No comments: