Our plans for the weekend got changed. We were going to the last SLU home football game tonight. We have always been able to drive over there and buy tickets before the game. This morning we read in the paper that the game was going to be a sale out. Seems the opponents are bringing a lot of fans in addition to it being homecoming and senior day. We called over there today and found that they are selling standing room only tickets. Since we're old and we go for half-time only, we aren't going.
Otherwise our weekend has gone great so far. We started with going to a LSU basketball game on Thursday night. It was an exhibition game and it took LSU a while to get going, but they ended up winning by 20. Jack was off for Veterans Day yesterday. We spent it running errands and doing things around the house. Last night was a hayride, bonfire party for the 3rd - 5th graders from church. One of the mom's planned it and Jack and I just showed up to help. She did a great job and the kids really had fun.
It brought back memories of my childhood. My family use to go camping every weekend during the summer - except the ones my dad had guard drill. The days were filled in the lake and around the campground exploring. The evenings were usually spent sitting around the campfire. At least when Jackie, Paula and I weren't trying to sneak off. The most memorable time around the campfire was one July 4th weekend when Mr. John decided to throw fireworks into the fire. I don't think I had ever seen my mom move so fast. Of course we were out of harms way and found it funny.
It is amazing how God has made us where senses will bring back pictures of the past. I often take sights and smells for granted, but then something as simple as the sight and smell of a fire transported me back to the carefree days of my childhood. We are truly "fearfully and wonderfully made."
Otherwise our weekend has gone great so far. We started with going to a LSU basketball game on Thursday night. It was an exhibition game and it took LSU a while to get going, but they ended up winning by 20. Jack was off for Veterans Day yesterday. We spent it running errands and doing things around the house. Last night was a hayride, bonfire party for the 3rd - 5th graders from church. One of the mom's planned it and Jack and I just showed up to help. She did a great job and the kids really had fun.
It brought back memories of my childhood. My family use to go camping every weekend during the summer - except the ones my dad had guard drill. The days were filled in the lake and around the campground exploring. The evenings were usually spent sitting around the campfire. At least when Jackie, Paula and I weren't trying to sneak off. The most memorable time around the campfire was one July 4th weekend when Mr. John decided to throw fireworks into the fire. I don't think I had ever seen my mom move so fast. Of course we were out of harms way and found it funny.
It is amazing how God has made us where senses will bring back pictures of the past. I often take sights and smells for granted, but then something as simple as the sight and smell of a fire transported me back to the carefree days of my childhood. We are truly "fearfully and wonderfully made."
No comments:
Post a Comment