Thursday, August 23, 2007

Rise and Shine

I am not a morning person. I like to wake up and ease into the day. In fact I've been known to paraphrase Proverbs 27:14 much like "The Message" has it - "If you wake your friend in the early morning by shouting 'Rise and shine!'It will sound to him more like a curse than a blessing." (I usually give the quote without the reference for fear that they'll read on and then verse 15 may get quoted to me.)

Anyway - back to the morning quiet..Yesterday I took Jack into work so I could have the car for the day. When I got back home I gathered my purse and coffee cup, opened the door and the car alarm went off. At first I just sat there trying to figure out what I had done to set it off and what I needed to do to make it stop. As I said, I like to ease into the morning, so my brain was still on slow-mo. I finally realized that in all my gathering of things I had accidentally hit the panic button. I quickly shut the horn off - after it honked for 5 - 10 seconds. After things quieted down, my first thought was Proverbs 27:14 and what effect this had on the neighbors attitude towards me. After all, if "Rise and shine!" can be a curse, no telling what a horn going off at 7:00 in the morning is! I don't even want to know.

No comments: