Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Fudge Round, Anyone??

On Wednesday nights we've been teaching the kids about the Patriarchs. Tonight's lesson was about Jacob working 7 years to marry Rachel and being surprised when he found out he had married Leah instead. I had a great idea for an object lesson of sorts. I had the kids do different things such as jump 7 times, do 7 jumping jacks, clap hands 7 times, etc. to earn a treat of a Little Debbie Fudge Round. After they earned their treat we gave them a paper sack with it in it and told them we were going to eat it later. The instructions were to put the sack under their seats and not look. Instead of a Little Debbie Fudge Round, I had put a Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream in the sacks. We had a puppet show and then after that I told them they could have their treat. I was expecting "Mrs Jan - these aren't chocolate. Where's my Fudge Round?" Instead I got one little boy smelling it and passing it to his neighbor because he doesn't like chocolate and them all gobbling the Oatmeal Creams up. I asked them if they liked them and they all said "Yes!" Finally I had to tell them that they were not Fudge Rounds they were eating but Oatmeal Creams. That revelation brought "Yuck!" "Gag" etc. We reminded them that they liked them when they didn't know what they were so we made them finish eating them. They all got Fudge Rounds too, but outside of a double treat, I think the lesson was lost on them. So much for great ideas.

No comments: