Sunday, September 11, 2005

Getting Back to Normal

Well - a different normal than what we had before, but still normal. Baton Rouge has grown and it looks like will keep a percentage of the growth even after New Orleans is rebuilt. That's a mixed bag. While we're happy to have our new citizens here, the infra structure is stressed. Traffic at times is unbelievable. There's no way to get roads built quick enough to handle it. So we're adjusting to the longer drive times. The grocery stores, gas stations, etc. are more crowded. Patience has become a key virtue in our great city.

I'm trying to learn how to balance things. I still have my work to do with my job. It is a slower period now that school has started, but we will be gearing up for LTC and getting busy with that soon. I'm not sure how all of that will be affected by Katrina's visit. In addition to my work, I'm trying to volunteer in whatever ways I know of. Surprisingly it has been hard to find something to do on a consistent basis. I've done a little here and a little there. I am going to 2 new places this week to volunteer. We'll see how it works out. We're also going to put our names on the list at church to host volunteers that pass through. I had my last photography class this past week and am looking at taking another session that begins later this month. I really enjoy photography and want to learn as much as I can. It's slowly sinking in - maybe.

We had another great service at church. One of the evacuees from our shelter gave a testimony about the things that God is doing. We also had an update on some of the things that God is using our family to do. (An interesting side note - the warehouse we have in Algiers is actually Mardi Gras World. Seems the church of Christ and Mardi Gras World are almost becoming synonymous to those in that area.) Our brotherhood has really responded to the great need in New Orleans and all over south Louisiana. There are many testimonies - many that we will never hear. But God's love is being shown here in south Louisiana in a way that has never happened before. Pray that it will continue to be shown after the recovery is over.

No comments: