Monday, June 18, 2007

Truth

I've had the book "The Truth War" setting around waiting to be read for several weeks now. This week I finally picked it up and read it. For those who don't know, this is a book that is basically a study of the book of Jude with modern day parallels thrown in. It is an encouragement in this day of muddled truth to stand up for The Truth. Mr. MacArthur points out that satan has a 3 step approach to battling the truth - satan questions the truth, contradicts the truth and then concocts an alternate version of the truth. In this post-modern age I see a lot of these steps.

Yesterday's sermon fell along this theme also. Eddie had some great words about the truth and our need to speak it. We are in a series of the Minor Prophets and for the past 3 lessons we have been in the book of Jonah. Jonah's problems arose when he didn't want to speak out. The resolution occurred when he decided he would speak out. Speaking out wasn't easy though in the culture he was sent to by God. Much like today. Eddie did an excellent job of covering some of the "politically incorrect" things that are actually truths from God and how we need to speak these truths in love.

When I read and/or hear of speaking out in truth, I always think of that famous line - "The truth?! You can't handle the truth!" Of course I'm always thinking of this statement as being directed towards the listener, but after this week I'm beginning to see that line directed towards me. I know the truth about a lot of things, but I don't always speak the truth in love. Instead I keep it to myself because I can't handle speaking the truth and the reaction I may get. Now I'm beginning to grasp a little more and more that the reaction is not mine to handle, but Gods. I'm not there yet, but I want to grow in the area of being a truth warrior..not a warrior that destroys, but a warrior that helps save.

No comments: