I think my dad was a little before his time in the "dad world." Back in the dark ages when I was growing up, it wasn't the dad's responsibility to spend time with the kids - especially girls. The boys you could take hunting and fishing and to sporting events, but girls were best served spending time with their moms learning how to cook, sew and manage a household. While I remember the times in "training" and in fun with my mom, I also remember the times with my dad. These run the gamut from fishing trips to games of jacks, with a few toe stomping contest thrown in there. In fact, there were a few things that he even showed me how to cook - like his famous brownies.
I've always known that my dad is there for me. He showered me with love and discipline. He has shown me the example of a Godly man. (It's easy for me to think of God and His role as a dad thanks to the earthly father I've been blessed with.) I think of my dad every day - I love him and am so thankful for the man he is.
I've always known that my dad is there for me. He showered me with love and discipline. He has shown me the example of a Godly man. (It's easy for me to think of God and His role as a dad thanks to the earthly father I've been blessed with.) I think of my dad every day - I love him and am so thankful for the man he is.
3 comments:
Jan
Great post.
I remember the memories of my dad. It is great to remember the good times and what we have learned now that we are fathers. I am glad I came across your blog; I really enjoyed reading your post and look forward to reading more. You are a great writter. You blog has encouraged me today. I hope that you have a great week. May God bless your family as you serve Him.
Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad that you were encouraged.
I'm a little late on commenting, but I echo your sentiments on dad. I am glad that the kids get to know their grandad and how much love he has.
The tireless games of checkers, he always had time for us when we needed him. Now that the family has grown so much he and Cliftina still makes room for everyone especially during the holidays. I wish that I could be half the father he is.
Love ya,
Doug
Post a Comment