Saturday, August 13, 2005

We're Back

We got back yesterday from our vacation to the Smoky Mountains. Our time there was great. We went horse back riding, played Hillbilly golf, went to the Arts and Crafts area, on parkways through the mountains, shopping, white water rafting, to a comedy show, strolling downtown and just had a good time.

Our cabin was wonderful. We were up Ski Mountain Road. For those who have been to Gatlinburg this is the road that goes to Ober Gatlinburg. You turned into our area right before the gate to pay for parking for Ober Gatlin. After turning the climb continued. We were almost to the top of the mountain. We had a great view. I enjoyed taking pictures from all three decks. The kids enjoyed the hot tub and we all had fun playing pool. Trevor even got use to the different levels and seemed to enjoy it.

The highlight at the cabin was the first night when I went out to get my glasses out of the car. I closed the door, turned to go in the cabin and saw a bear strolling by. I froze and stayed put for a while wondering if it was safe to go to the cabin door. I went in and told everyone to look to the right of the cabin to see the bear. Shortly after that I looked out the window and saw another bear coming down the other side of the cabin. That bear ended up having two cubs with her. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures, but it was exciting. We watched every evening for more bears, but they never came. As a side note - a little later that night the phone rang in the cabin. It was a wildlife officer checking because someone had called that morning to report a bear was in a car at our cabin. Nice to know they respond so quickly.

The best part for me was being in the mountains. The parkways were a real treat. It is amazing to see God's handiwork. It is more beautiful than anything man could do. I had a wonderful time taking pictures and playing around to see what I could come up with. As usual, some are really good and some really stink up the place. I am working on sorting through them and putting them on a separate BLOG - Gatlinburg Vacation Pictures If you go there now, be sure and come back later. I've just started posting. In the meantime, I've posted a few pictures here.

I really enjoyed being together one last time before the nest empties and hated having to leave the mountains and come back to the flatlands and the real world.

No comments: