Thursday, April 24, 2008

Fun in the Gym!

I've been spending time 6 days of each week at Snap Fitness. Going to the gym is not really a social event. Most of us go there, put our earplugs in and get our work done. That doesn't mean that it can't be entertaining though. Sometimes I'm the source of entertainment - such as the morning I decided to use the Assisted Pull-up Machine. I really need to work on my upper arms and had read that was a good machine to use. Being the weakling that I am I have learned to set all machines on one of the lowest weights available, which I did before I stepped on to this one. To my surprise when I stepped on the platform, it clunked down all the way to the floor and I was basically on my own to pull myself up. Of course that was impossible as that was the reason I was using the ASSISTED machine. After gingerly stepping back up on the platform, which was a work out in and of itself, and getting off the machine I realized that the weight was going to the platform and that the weaker you are, the more weight is needed. A complete reversal. Who knew?!

That same day a man that I see in there a lot was on the Arc Trainer. A couple of machines down was a woman that comes with a noise reduction earplug in one ear and an IPOD in the other. I was on one of the weight machines facing them when the man starts one of his "bursts" going faster than I can when I first get on even. All of a sudden I hear a clunking noise accompanied by an expletive and look up to see he had slipped off the Arc Trainer and his IPOD had gone flying too. He quickly recovered and resumed his exercise. The whole time the woman that was 3 machines down just kept plodding away oblivious to the drama down the row. Gotta get that workout in no matter what I guess.

Yesterday I was the entertainment again when I forgot to put my phone on silent. The ringtone for Bekah is a jungle noise with monkeys, birds, etc. I was on the Arc Trainer (my favorite machine!) with the Sirius radio music blaring in the gym, my earplugs in listening to Dave Matthews and a guy on the Step Master,one on the Treadmill and a lady on the Recumbent Bike. In other words, a little noisy place. When all of I a sudden I thought I heard a strange laughing sound coming from somewhere. I noticed the people working out looking around and smiling and then I realized it was coming from my bag on the front shelf. I had forgotten to silence my phone and Bekah was calling. When I realized that, I just kept exercising acting as if I heard nothing. I don't think I pulled it off though.

Today's entertainment was a man humming along to his IPOD. At least I haven't done that .....yet.

No comments: