Yesterday Eddie showed us this news clip at the beginning of his lesson. If you haven't seen this clip about the "Subway Hero," Mr. Autry, or heard his story, you need to. This man saved a strangers life in a way that is amazing.
While watching this video yesterday my first thought was "Would I do that?" I would like to answer yes, but even in the hypothetical world I can think of excuses - I wouldn't be strong enough being the most accurate excuse. My second question was "Would I think of doing that?" It takes an open heart to listen to the Spirit and know what to do or say at times. I know I wouldn't have thought of it on my own, and wonder if I have the type heart to let the Spirit speak to me.
While watching this video yesterday my first thought was "Would I do that?" I would like to answer yes, but even in the hypothetical world I can think of excuses - I wouldn't be strong enough being the most accurate excuse. My second question was "Would I think of doing that?" It takes an open heart to listen to the Spirit and know what to do or say at times. I know I wouldn't have thought of it on my own, and wonder if I have the type heart to let the Spirit speak to me.
3 comments:
I did see that story on the news, and it brings a tear to my eyes everytime. What a great heart, I wondered if I could do that myself, if I would think fast enough, if my thoughts would be staying with the kids, getting someone else to get help, etc. I think sometimes the Spirit just pushes you into acting, I know I need that push, even if it is not as heroic as this was.
Love ya'll.
oh..p.s. we took your baby girl to lunch yesterday, it was our yearly duty.
I think that everyone at church yesterday that hear Eddie's lesson has probably asked the same question. It came up at LIFE group as well as lunchtime after church. I (like most people) would like to think that I would in that situation, but given my personality I don't think that I would. It's not that I wouldn't have valued his life, I would have taken too long to make that decision (this is just an honest answer for me). The big question is will we even take the step to save someone elses soul even though our life is NOT on the line. Sadly, I say no to that too often as well because I'm not bold enough.
Jimmy - Your question is really what I wonder of myself. I have never been in a position where a persons physical life is in danger, but I am around people whose eternal life is in danger and I am often a coward. I want to be a hero - but then again - honestly - I'm not so sure that I always want to pay the price. What a sad statement that is, I know but it's true.
Post a Comment