Friday, April 27, 2007

He Knows

Growing up we would often sing a song in church with the words, "My Jesus knows just what I need, Oh yes, He knows just what I need. He satisfies and every need supplies, yes He knows just what I need." I often live day by day with Jesus providing just what I need, and not even being aware or acknowledging it. Well, Wednesday God provided me something I needed and I'm so thankful.

Wednesday afternoon I had an appointment to set up one of those fun "50 year old procedures." I was in the waiting room, purposefully sitting in an rather isolated area, when a 5 year old boy named Damon plopped down next to me. Damon - or DJ - he has 2 names - showed me horses in the Sports Illustrated he was looking at, told me about his horses, cows and goats, counted for me, spelled his name for me, asked me what I have at my house, asked me what I do and even wants to be in my class. Instead of the Bible, he wanted me to teach him math though. At one point he told me that Jesus was "up there" and the devil was "back there" (as he pointed towards the examination room area.) He wanted to know if I was married and if I had an old husband. He even answered correctly when I asked him if I was old. When the nurse called me back, he gave me a big send off, shouting bye to me.

It was a real blessing to meet Damon. I've been wondering lately if I'm getting too old to work with the kids at church. Damon helped me realize that even if I am getting old, I can still touch and be touched by a child.

Thank you Lord for knowing what I need, and giving it to me.

No comments: