Thursday, November 16, 2006

Coin Toss Decisions

I have a thought rolling around in my head this morning. (OK - here's where all those who know me can say things like, "Lot's of room in there for it to roll." Go ahead get it all out of your system because I have a serious thing I'm pondering.)

One of the books on my table is "Dear Church - Letters from a Disillusioned Generation" I just began reading the book and haven't reached the disillusioned section yet. But I decided if I was going to read a book to the church and about the church I needed to also read THE book about the church. Figure I might as well start at the beginning, so this morning I started reading Acts again. Before getting to the "church" part, I came across something I've read and heard about many times - the choosing of someone to take Judas' place with the 12.

I've always been fascinated with the casting of lots to choose. I even have a reference I wrote next to it of Proverbs 16:33 - "The lot is cast into the lap, but it's every decision is from the Lord." I know we don't cast lots today, so I always think of something like a coin toss - what we look at as pure chance. But God tells us that every decision comes from Him -- even when we think it's random chance?!

I keep picturing someone going through an important decision in life such as a job change. I can see them praying about it, then saying "O.K. - Heads I take the job, tails, I don't." We'd think they were a little eccentric to say the least or more likely we would think they were crazy. After all don't you pray about it, research it, list the pros and cons and then decide?

I wonder if God would rather us just give it all to Him, toss the coin and be done. That would ease the stress of a decision, wouldn't it? Problem is I don't think I have that kind of faith. Not yet anyway.

No comments: