Thursday, May 04, 2006

Cell Phone Thoughts

Yesterday was new cell phone day for me. My old phone still works, just not as well. It's been dropped a few times and is probably close to 3 years old or so. It was a basic phone model that I picked because it would roam between system types. The new phone is quite an upgrade - media loaded, downloadable ring tones, camera, video, etc. but the feature I really wanted was Bluetooth capable. Now I can be one of those people with the earpiece.

Driving home from Cingular I was thinking of all the cell phones we've owned. The first one was a bag phone. The next ones we got were just a little smaller than the cordless phone we have at home - and it's a big one. All in all we have probably had at least 15 cell phones. I can't even remember. I do know that each one has had more features and has been a better phone.

So why this interesting topic? All this led me to thinking about the changes that take place around us that we don't really notice. There's some amazing technology out there that is constantly evolving and to us it's no big deal. In fact we often let it become a source of stress instead of appreciating what we have. We gripe when the computer runs too slow - forgetting the "old" days when it would take 5 minutes to boot up. If our cell phone has a little static in it we get frustrated forgetting that just a few years back that was the norm for a cell phone conversation. You can apply this to camera's, videos, cars, ovens, etc. So many improvements in so many things that we don't even think about.

Bottom line to all this "thinking" - I'm thankful for the things that make life easier and I'm going to try to appreciate them more as gifts from God.

No comments: