Saturday, July 16, 2005

Shopping Trip

Rebekah and I went shopping yesterday. This wasn't our typical clothes shopping. Instead we were shopping for things for her dorm room. We managed to get her comforter, some sheets, a trash can and various other items. After getting home we looked to see what all is going to be in her room and discovered that the mattresses aren't XL as we were led to believe by the mailout we got trying to sell us XL sheets. So Monday I'll head back out to exchange a few things.

We also bought a couple of things for Justin's apartment. He had requested a toaster, so I got that. Knowing that he cooks a lot I also got him an electric can opener. Seems that Justin likes the old fashion hand opener like I do, so that's going back too.

While buying comforters, toasters and the such isn't real exciting, and I know reading about it is even more boring, this represents more to me than just buying household items. This is the rope lengthening between my kids and me. It's an exciting time for both of them. Justin is getting out on his own a little more by going from a dorm to an apartment, and Bekah's starting in a dorm. Both of them are on the track that I envisioned and dreamed for them.

It's a bittersweet time for me. It's great seeing them mature and move on. It's sad seeing them mature and move on. That's real life and the emotions that go with it. It'll be interesting watching these next few years to see exactly where they land and the twists and turns of their life. All I can do is sit back, love them and pray that they will stay close to God and listen to Him.

No comments: