I am in one of my "reading frenzies." I get in these from time to time where I will read book after book. After a time, I will then quit reading altogether for a while. Maybe one of these days I'll learn how to read in moderation again, but for now the frenzy is on.
The latest book I completed was "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister." This book was written by Gregory Maguire - the same author of "Wicked" (which I haven't yet read.) Since "Confessions" relates to Cinderella it caught my eye. This is a tale of Cinderella told from the viewpoint of one of the stepsisters. Or to be more exact, it is the "true" story that developed into the fairy tale. The tale is set in Dutchland and follows the life of Margarethe and her two daughters, Ruth and Iris after escaping from England. The escape was made after the dikes broke and the countrymen laid blame on Margarethe's husband Jack and Margarethe. Upon their arrival in Dutchland they discover their relative, whom they were counting on to take them in, is dead. The story then develops into what Margarethe will do to insure their surrvival. While Margarethe does become the mean step-mother, the step-sisters in this story are kind, gentle girls. Thus the twist in the tale. I don't want to give too much away of the plot. (I was always bad at book reports as I never wanted to give away the plot and therefore I have a hard time of telling enough to pique interest.) I think you will find it interesting how Maguire tells a story that is a fun tale but is full of many morals. It is a well written book that I recommend for those of us who grew up on fairy tales and fables.
The latest book I completed was "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister." This book was written by Gregory Maguire - the same author of "Wicked" (which I haven't yet read.) Since "Confessions" relates to Cinderella it caught my eye. This is a tale of Cinderella told from the viewpoint of one of the stepsisters. Or to be more exact, it is the "true" story that developed into the fairy tale. The tale is set in Dutchland and follows the life of Margarethe and her two daughters, Ruth and Iris after escaping from England. The escape was made after the dikes broke and the countrymen laid blame on Margarethe's husband Jack and Margarethe. Upon their arrival in Dutchland they discover their relative, whom they were counting on to take them in, is dead. The story then develops into what Margarethe will do to insure their surrvival. While Margarethe does become the mean step-mother, the step-sisters in this story are kind, gentle girls. Thus the twist in the tale. I don't want to give too much away of the plot. (I was always bad at book reports as I never wanted to give away the plot and therefore I have a hard time of telling enough to pique interest.) I think you will find it interesting how Maguire tells a story that is a fun tale but is full of many morals. It is a well written book that I recommend for those of us who grew up on fairy tales and fables.
No comments:
Post a Comment