Thursday, December 29, 2005

A Lesson From Sports Radio

Since I've already confessed to my MTV viewing habit I might as well confess to my radio listening one. While getting ready in the morning and sometimes during the day in the car I like to listen to sports radio. I find it entertaining and amusing. All football season here in Baton Rouge the talk has centered around the LSU head football coach and how the "program is headed in the wrong direction." Never mind that the team is 10-2 and going to play Miami in the Peach Bowl. Also disregard that Les Miles is the first coach to coach the Tigers to wins over Florida, Auburn and Alabama in the same season. After all, he inherited Nick Saban's team and anyone could have coached the team to that. Recruiting will be the true gauge. Of course now that it appears he will have at least a top 5 recruiting class it will be interesting to see what the comments will be.

Most of the callers appear to be just regular guys with an interest in sports. They have an opinion and like to express it. But there are times I wonder about some of the callers. Yesterday was one of those mornings. JaMarcus Russell, the LSU quarterback, will not be traveling to the Peach Bowl. The reason given is that he is staying home to rehab his separated shoulder. The rumor that surfaced yesterday was that he is really suffering from depression. I was amazed at the comments from people who thought that may be the real reason. They ranged along the lines from "LSU should have divulged this" to "He should go to Atlanta. That would be the best thing for his depression" to "He needs to quit thinking of himself and think of being a team leader." Excuse me, we're talking about a young college man here who may or may not be suffering from depression - remember it's a rumor - but if he is, how callous can a person be? I was surprised at the total disregard for a person and their life. All the while I kept thinking of the lost that Tony Dungy is suffering from the suicide of his 18 year old son. Surely these sports fanatics have heard of that. Their passion for sports has clouded their view of everything else it seems.

On and off for the rest of the day I thought about those comments trying to figure out how people can get on the radio and say calloused things like they did. I think they don't realize how important words really are. Then I started thinking about myself and wondering if I realize how important words really are. The book of James tells us "...Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire..." and that the tongue is "a restless evil, full of deadly poison." No wonder he also says that we should be "quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." So, what did I learn? That I need to be a better listener and slower to speak this next year. Resolution #1.

No comments: