Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Fashion Police

I've been hit by the "fashion police." Those of you who know me are aware that I'm not the "hippest" person on the face of the earth. But I don't think my fashion sense is the worse out there. I have watched "What Not to Wear" from time to time and so far nobody has sent my name in as a candidate. So I like to think that I'm pretty main stream and age appropriate with my style and that I do ok. Today something happened that makes me wonder.

I was checking out at a department store when a woman - around my age - waiting in line behind me began to question my purchase. She started pointing out that it wasn't the "latest" style. Now as I said, I'm pretty mainstream. I wasn't looking for the latest style. Never mind that I told her that - she expounded on what was in, how Louisiana is the last place to get it, how the internet is starting to change that because people will just order on the internet, etc. The last statement being to the effect that I must save a lot of money since I don't have to have designer named items that cost $500 each. What do you say to that? A stranger who has no idea how much money I make or spend and who has no business knowing. And to top it off, she was not dressed in any way special. In fact, my first inclination was to tell her if she spent $500 for what she had on, she needed to file a report with the AG for price gouging. Instead I just smiled and told her that I was happy with the things I have. I guess if Stacy and Clinton come pay me a visit I'll have to re-think things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe I would have had to ask her why, if she loves the internet so much, was she standing in line at a department store instead of sitting in front of her computer ordering all of "the latest".