Monday, February 27, 2006

Daily Bible Reading

Our church family is encouraging everyone to commit to daily Bible reading. This is something that I believe in and try to do. Usually I have a "scattered" approach - reading one book, than just chapters, throw in a little Psalms, find some printed plan and follow it - you get the picture. This year I am committed to reading the Daily Bible. I read it in the morning first thing. I must admit that I'm not always sure of the comprehension level while drinking my first cup of coffee, but for the most part that time is working for me. What jumps out at me is how what is a somewhat random choice of scripture read - based on the chronological order and what day of the year it is - it often is something that I need at the time. For instance - today I reported for jury duty. This is my third time to be summoned for the pool and I have not been too excited about it. Well lo and behold this morning's reading was about the laws of the land, the court system that God established for Israel and the importance of it all. I must confess that I still complained a little today about serving in the pool, but I do have a renewed way of looking at jury duty and the week ahead. Of course it helps that I was dismissed for the day at noon and that tomorrow is Mardi Gras so I don't have to go back until Wednesday.

No comments: